The Labouchere Strategy
Roulette strategies come in many forms and in different difficulty levels. For most casual roulette players, the most popular is the Martingale strategy which calls for an easy-to-follow betting arrangement after every loss. Its simplicity made it one of the most widely used strategies today. But there’s one more strategy that requires a bit of research and hard work: the Labouchere Strategy.
How does the Betting Strategy Work?
As a betting strategy, the Labouchere can be used on all betting alternatives but is best applied on those that can double one’s stake, like betting on black or red. For this strategy to work, you will need to jot down and edit the numbers, preferably using a pen or paper or a mobile device.
To start, you will need to decide first on the amount of bet that you would like, and you can do this by jotting down a series of numbers. Choose any numbers, and you can also determine the length of the sequence. Here’s a sample series of numbers that you want to consider if you want to win £10:
Keep in mind that the sequence is your personal choice. Here, you will set the amount of money that you want to earn, say £10, and you will need to split this up in a sequence as shown above. When you want to start betting on a roulette game, you need to take the rightmost and leftmost parts of the sequence, add them to identify the bet. Using the example series above, you will need to place an initial wager of £2.
In case your bet manages to win, you will need to cancel out these numbers in the series since a part of your goal has been achieved. Using the same series of numbers, the series will now look like the one below:
Now, you will make the second round of the betting procedure. Again,you will need to pay attention to the numbers on the left and right side of your series. Using the example, the numbers are 1 and 1, putting your bet to £2 once again. You will need to repeat this process until all the numbers of the series have been cancelled out.
If for example, you have lost your bet, you don’t need to cancel out the numbers in the series. Instead of cancelling them, just add the number that you just wagered to the right part of the number sequence. If you made the initial bet and you have lost it on the game, the sequence of numbers will look like the one below:
Keep in mind that the main objective of the Labouchere Strategy is to cancel out all the indicated numbers on the series. And this is done by winning the bet made. If the bet has been lost, the number (amount of bet) will then be added to the sequence, particularly on the right part of the series.
Here are some reminders you may want to keep in mind when playing this strategy.
- First, you need to cancel out the numbers on both the left and right side after earning a win.
- Do not cancel out the numbers if you have encountered a loss. You will need to add these to the right side of the sequence.
What are the Good Points and Bad Points of the Labouchere?
Just like other betting or game strategies, the Labouchere also comes with its own set of pros and cons. One of the best things about this strategy is that it takes roughly 33% of the wagers won to earn a profit. According to some tests made on the strategy, players will only need 33% plus 2 bets. This means that if you play 75 rounds in a roulette table, you only need about 25 plus 2 bets to make a profit. This is considered a low amount, making the Labouchere an ideal strategy for players who want to end the day on a winning note.
While this information is appealing, keep in mind that this computation is based only on theory. Keep in mind that every game of roulette and the dropping of the ball is unique. And just like the Martingale Strategy in roulette, there’s a big chance that you will end up with a bad long streak. And when this losing streak happens, it will eventually translate to a bigger bet that needs to be played, until it gets to the point that it is no longer feasible for you to continue the play because of diminishing bankroll.
- The Labouchere is a betting strategy for the game of roulette popularized by Henry Labouchere, an avid roulette player
- Compared to other roulette strategies, the Labouchere requires a player to come up with a sequence of numbers, record and modify these numbers based on the results of the play
- To start the betting arrangement, players will need to take the leftmost and rightmost numbers and add these to identify the amount of wager to be made
- If the bet is successful, the leftmost and rightmost numbers are canceled out
- But if the bet was lost, the numbers are not removed from the sequence. Instead, the amount wagered will be added to the right side of the sequence
- Just like other strategies, the Labouchere has its own set of pros and cons. The system allows players to earn a decent profit, but it can be painful if a bad losing streak is met
What You Should Know About the Background of Labouchere?
The Labouchere requires some bit of work and commitment. Players need to write down the numbers when making their bets. This strategy is attributed to a British politician and journalist, Henry Labouchere, who have the passion for casinos, particularly roulette. Today, it’s one of the most widely used strategies offering players with a big chance of earning the wins.